Monday, March 15, 2010

Sewing Classes

I have always had an interest in sewing.  My grandmother would spend endless hours at her sewing machine making me beautiful dresses, dolls, and play clothes.  I can remember when I was little I really wanted an outfit like a little girl from the Sound of Music because at the time that was my favorite movie.  Remember the clothes Maria made out of curtains?  I loved them as a child.  My grandmother whipped up a cute little outfit like the one I wanted.  I still have teeny tiny Barbie clothes that my grandmother made for my mom when she was a little girl.  The detail on the Barbie clothes are simply impressive.  My goal is to be able to make dresses for my children along with other fun things.  I know there are countless beautiful dresses available to buy in any store, but there is something special about a Mama making a dress for her girls.  A few years ago my husband bought me a sewing machine for Christmas.  I had no idea how to use it, so I carefully followed all the directions in the manual it comes with.  I started to practice sewing little blankets and pillows for my girl's baby dolls.  A few weeks ago I signed up for sewing classes at our local Singer store.  This week will be my 5th class, and already I have learned so much.  My first class was just an intro to sewing, and I learned all the basic tools needed, and how to properly sew.  I quickly learned I was not sewing the way I was supposed to be.  My second and third class we made pillowcases.
My girls picked out their own fabric and I really enjoyed putting these together.  I still have to make one more for Celeste.  I also want to learn how to quilt, so the class I took last Friday was a very simple quilted table runner.  Since spring is just right around the corner, we started a cute spring bunny runner. 
My sewing teacher helped cut the pieces according to the pattern.  I put the bunnies together, and I love that there are 3 bunnies for my 3 little girls.  I chose my girl's favorite colors for the bows of the bunnies, and the buttons for the eyes are the colors of my girl's eyes.  Two with brown and one with green. 

Now I just need to do my homework and put the pieces partially together, and iron some triangle pieces that will go around the runner.
This Friday I am going to finish, and then start on a birthday runner.  Celeste's birthday is next week, and Trinity's is next month, so I wanted to make a runner to go on their cake table.  The pattern is a tiered cake with "Happy Birthday" appliquéd on it.  I think I am going to go with pink and brown fabric because it will go with pretty much any birthday theme for girls.  After I finish I am going to start on summer dresses for the girls.  I need to learn how to follow a pattern.  So I have a lot of work ahead of me, and did I mention I am super excited?  I am totally expanding on my domestic abilities!

2 comments:

Little Natural Cottage said...

I am so impressed, Jessica! These are too, too cute!

I've never been much good with sewing projects, unfortunately. I don't have the patience for ripping out the mistakes I always make!

I'm really proud of how you're "expanding your domestic abilities"... I'm sure your girls are loving it too!!! Way to go!

Ashley Flores said...

Wow so cute!!! I am trying to learn how to sew on my own but not making much progress lol. Maybe one day you can teach me...