Sunday, September 13, 2009

Potty Training.....again!

Well it's that time again...time to potty train baby number 3!  I personally don't waste any time when it comes to potty training.  Both my older girls were potty trained by 20 months!  I have heard doctors and other parents say that children don't know or understand about using the potty until the age of 3.  Well I'm sorry to say, I totally disagree.  Children are very smart, and are eager to learn at such a young age.  I think it would be harder to train an older toddler who knows it's easier to go in the pamper.  I have seen children up to age 4 standing in a corner, away from everyone pooping in their diaper, and then go to their mother and hand her a new pamper.  Uh...if they know how to give you a new pamper and hide in the corner...it's time!  Although I know that every child is different with their own needs.  This is just what works for us. With my oldest it was pretty much experimental.  When she turned about 15 months I bought her a little potty that did all those fancy things like play music, sing songs, and lights up when a stream of tinkle falls into the bucket.  I was not very consistant with her training at this age, I just wanted to introduce her to the idea and get her used to the potty.  I would put her on every morning as soon as she woke up, after nap, and right before bath time.  I did this because I was going to take off her pamper anyway, so I just stuck her on the potty.  At first she would't go but maybe once a day, but after a while she went all three times.  I then started to really take her every 30 minutes to an hour until she was completely trained.  It worked for her, and my second daughter.  Well now it's time to start with Trinity.  She is 17 months now, and has gone quite a few time in the morning and after nap. 
This time around I decided to skip out on the little potty because I have realized what an awful mess it becomes when the girls would potty by themselves and then try to pour it in the toilet.  I will totally spare you the details, but I have a feeling moms, you know what I am talking about.
A proud little girl flushing the potty.  Funny thing...she flushes it about 5 times before she leaves the restroom.
                                              
Here she is picking out her treat after she went potty.  I think this is the only reason why she goes because I don't give her candy any other time.  So, I will keep you updated on her progress.  Hopefully she will catch on quickly because who likes to buy pampers?  Not me!

2 comments:

Misty said...

Look at NeNe on the potty like a big girl! I like your "new" blog, very cute! Did you get it at shabby blogs?

Jenny said...

Good luck with the potty training! Here's to NO MORE DIAPERS!!!!